Comprehensive Articulation Agreement

The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) addresses the admission of community college graduates to UNC institutions and the transfer of credits between institutions within the North Carolina Community College System and institutions within the University of North Carolina.

The CAA assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations.

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or specific program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a North Carolina Community College with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science Degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
  • A student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which he or she graduated, and a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses.
  • Students must be academically eligible for re-admission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which the student applies.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.

Transfer of Courses Not Originated at North Carolina Community Colleges

Transfer credit for courses that originate at a UNC institution or independent college or university that is part of the CAA is acceptable as part of a student’s successfully completed general education core or Associate in Arts or Associate in Science program under the CAA.

Transfer courses that do not originate at a NC community college may be used under the CAA with the following stipulations.

  • Courses must be from a regionally accredited (e.g., SACS) institution of higher education; and
  • Courses must meet general education requirements; and
  • Courses may total no more than 14 semester hours of credit of the general education core.
  • For courses not originating at a NC community college, if the courses are used to complete the AA or AS or the 44-hour general education core, the courses will be taken as a complete package.

Since the CAA was first established, the State of North Carolina has encouraged high school students to maximize their time by taking college coursework under initiatives including Learn and Earn High Schools and Learn and Earn Online.  The CAA policies extend to high school students taking college coursework through the NC Community College System and/or the constituent universities of the University of North Carolina.

Transfer of General Education Core Courses for Non-Graduates

Upon admission to another public two-year institution or to a public university, students who have completed the general education core with the proper distribution of hours, but who have not completed the associate degree, will be considered to have fulfilled the institution-wide, lower-division general education requirements of the receiving institution.  To be eligible for inclusion in this policy, a student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of transfer and a grade of “C” or better in all core courses.  Upon transfer at the sophomore level, a non-graduate who has completed the general education core should be advised at the university to take pre-major or cognate courses based on his or her chosen major.

Certification of completion of the general education core for non-graduates is the responsibility of the community college at which the core is completed.  The transcripts of students who transfer before completing the general education core will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis by the receiving university.  The transferring student who has not completed the core must meet the receiving institution’s general education requirements.

In accordance with the terms of the CAA, any transfer student who disagrees with the amount of transfer credit accepted by a North Carolina community college or by an institution in the UNC system may file a grievance within the first six weeks of the beginning of the term for which admission was offered.  A student may obtain a CAA Student Grievance Form from the Admissions Office of the college or university to which he/she was admitted.

If a student is denied admission to a UNC institution, then he or she will receive a letter from that institution directing the student to the College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) website at  At the CFNC website, the student will be presented with the conditions of the Transfer Assured Admissions Policy and if these conditions are met, the student will be given information regarding space availability and contacts within the UNC system.  The student should contact those institutions to get specific information about admissions and available majors.

In the rare instance that the previous steps do not result in admission to a UNC institution, then the student should contact the CFNC Resource Center at 1-866-866-CFNC.