- Makes you more marketable in today’s global economy
- Helps develop your intellect
- Give you access to higher pay
- Helps you fulfill university foreign language requirements
- Makes traveling to a Spanish speaking destination much more enjoyable
- Allows you to understand and appreciate literature, movies, songs and the Internet en español!
- Spanish was the first European language spoken in what today is the USA (Florida 1513).
- Latin music, such as salsa, merengue, bachata, cumbia, etc. are styles of music that have strong African influences (percussion and rhythm).
- Spanish is the second most used language in international communication and an official language of the United Nations
Elementary Spanish I (SPA 111) is a class for beginners who have never taken Spanish before. We move at a college level intensity or a very dedicated beginner’s pace. We meet three hours per week. Students are required to complete their homework using an online language lab.
Online Classes (only for SPA-111)
This is ideal for students who are self disciplined and proficient using the internet. Learning a language online is harder than in a seated class. If you are new to Spanish, this class format may not be for you. If, however, you are familiar with Spanish because you took it at least for one year in High School this format would be appropriate for you. Your computer skills need to be fully developed from the start. Students with inadequate computer experience tend to feel very overwhelmed. They lack the time to acquire computer proficiency and language proficiency simultaneously. We use a variety of web-based components like synchronous conversations online using a webcam, threaded discussions, internet voice recordings, word processing, and email functions.
This course requires the following hardware & software:
- a reliable computer
- a webcam
- sound card & speakers
- good quality computer microphone
- hi-speed modem (Cable or DSL)
- dependable Internet Service Provider (ISP)
- Coastal’s student e-mail address
- Wimba Voice plug-in (link will be provided)