Massage Therapy FAQs

When are classes offered at Coastal?
Classes are offered during the day and operate for seven months or in the evening for 10 months. Daytime classes meet Monday through Thursday for four hours each day and evening classes meet Tuesday through Thursday also for 4 hours each evening.
What do I need to do to enroll in the program?
First, you will need to take a 25-minute TABE test through the college to determine your reading level. All students who score a 10.0 or higher on the test are eligible to enroll. You will then need to fill out a registration form and pay the course fee at the time of registration. Students must complete Massage Therapy I before they enroll in Massage Therapy II.
What are the total costs for the program?
For Tuition and required insurance fees, please see the current Continuing Education OnCourse Schedule (there are 2 sessions). Additional costs would include uniforms, textbooks, and tools such as a massage table, sheets, lotions, etc.
Are Coastal’s classes accredited?
Coastal’s classes meet or exceed both state and national requirements. As a community college, Coastal is in compliance with all state requirements set forth by the NC Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy. Additionally, Coastal has been identified as an Assigned School by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork.
Can I receive financial aid for the program?
Some financial aid is available through the college however it is always wise to search for independent scholarships or programs that will pay for textbooks and supplies as well as tuition.
Can I transfer credit from another institution?
No. Since our program is operated through the Division of Continuing Education, coursework is nontransferable.
What happens after I graduate from the program?
Students who graduate from the Massage Therapy program at Coastal will be eligible to take the state and national exams to become licensed Massage Therapists. Once you have taken and passed the appropriate test(s), you would then apply to the State and National Boards for licensure. Once you are licensed you are eligible to work as a Massage Therapist in the State of North Carolina.
Where can I work as a licensed Massage Therapist?
Upon completion of the program and having acquired the necessary state and/or national licensure, students will be able to work in hospitals, clinics, chiropractor and doctor offices, wellness centers, fitness centers, salons, athletic programs, corporate wellness programs, performing arts programs, as well as establish their own private practices.
What is the job outlook for licensed Massage Therapists?
According to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, “Employment of Massage Therapists is expected to increase by 19 percent from 2008 to 2018, faster than the average for all occupations. Employment will grow as more people learn about the benefits of massage therapy.” Additionally, “In states that regulate massage therapy, opportunities should be available to those who complete formal training programs and pass a professionally recognized examination. However, new massage therapists should expect to work only part time in spas, hotels, hospitals, physical therapy centers, and other businesses until they can build a client base of their own. Because referrals are a very important source of work for massage therapists, networking will increase the number of job opportunities. Joining a professional association also can help build strong contacts and further increase the likelihood of steady work.”
How much can licensed Massage Therapists make?
On average, licensed Massage therapists’ pay can vary depending on the setting where the massage therapist works; many therapists earn some portion of their salary as gratuities.