Please refer to the current Continuing Education Schedule of Classes for upcoming dates and times.
The ManageFirst program is an exciting management development program based on skills in the Hospitality, Restaurant, and Foodservice industry. The program leads to a credential which designates successful candidates as qualified professionals prepared to begin or advance their careers as a ManageFirst Professional®. The national credential recognizes students as having the academic and practical knowledge they need to succeed in the profession.
Earn your MFP nationally distinguished certification endorsed by the National Restaurant Association and “hit the ground running” as a hospitality, restaurant, or foodservice manager. For your convenience, the 320-hour program will meet Monday – Thursdays 8:30 am- 12:30 pm, or if it fits your schedule better, you may enroll in the evening program which will meet from 5:30 pm-9:30 pm.
Topics and Associated Competencies
Hospitality and Restaurant Management
- Management and Supervision Skills
- Leadership Skills
- Goal Setting
- Communicating Effectively
- Motivation and Employee Development
- Win-Win Scheduling
- Teambuilding Skills
- Planning and Conducting Effective Meetings
Controlling Foodservice Costs
- Cost Control and the Menu
- Using Recipes to Determine Portion Cost
- Purchasing and Receiving
- Food Cost in Sales, Service, and Storage
- Product Mixes
- Labor Costs
- Management and Supervision
- Building a Welcoming Work Environment
- Defining Job Descriptions
- Finding and Recruiting New Employees
- Hiring and Orienting New Employees
- Supervising and Motivating Employees
- Training Employees
- Managing Shifts to Ensure Quality Operation
- Managing Terminations
- Ensuring a Lawful Workplace
- Ensuring Employee Benefits and Compensation
- Establishing Standard Food Production Procedures
- Product Quality
- Quality in Food Production
- Banquet and Buffet Food Production
- Building a Quality System
This 13-hour course provides the principles of safety and sanitation for the foodservice industry as well as facilities and equipment management. It is one of the core topics required to complete the ManageFirst Professional® Credential.
Students will need to purchase the textbook with answer sheet from the Coastal Carolina Community College bookstore (910) 938-6295 prior to the start of class.