The 18-hour Academy for Online Instructors is designed to enhance the community college instructor’s craft by applying strategies from each of the sessions in the development and implementation of online courses. Participants focus on essential principles of effective online teaching and best practices in distance education. Structured as a hybrid course, the Academy for Online Instructors combines seated interactive lectures, small and large group discussions, and collaborative learning tasks with the development of an online course that incorporates best practices addressed in the Academy modules.
Sessions topics for the nine modules include:
- Research-based principles of effective online instruction
- Characteristics and needs of the online learner
- Communication tools and methods in the online environment
- Online course design and presentation/facilitation techniques
- Assessment and evaluation of learning objectives
- Utilization of instructional technology tools
- Policies and procedures relative to distance education
For enrollment opportunities, contact your Division Chair.