This 50-hour, 10-week online course will prepare students for a National exam to become a Certified Phlebotomist! The following areas will be reviewed:
- History of Phlebotomy
- Overview of the Healthcare Setting
- Quality Assurance
- Legal Issues
- Infection Control
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Circulatory System
- Blood Collection Equipment
- Tube Additives
- Order of Draw
- Venipuncture/Capillary Procedures
- Special Collections and POC Testing
- Specimen Processing
- Nonblood Specimens & Tests
Resource information on the requirements of the various certifying agencies is also included.
Note: This course does NOT offer hands-on training in blood-drawing. For those with no Phlebotomy experience, Coastal offers a 12-week Phlebotomy program which includes classroom instruction, lab practicum, and clinical experience hours. Please call 910-938-6294 for more information.
July 10 – September 16, 2017
September 25 – December 9, 2017
- Registration fee $125 plus $1 insurance fee
- Textbook required Call Coastal’s Bookstore at (910) 938-6295 for information.
- Completion of 1-year, full-time acceptable work experience as a phlebotomy technician in an accredited laboratory within the last five years.
- OR Successful completion of RN, LPN or other acceptable accredited allied health professional/occupational education which includes phlebotomy training with a minimum performance of 100 successful unaided blood collections including venipunctures and skin punctures.
- OR Completion of an approved Phlebotomy program.
Who Should Take This Class?
- Individuals with work-related Phlebotomy experience who desire to become certified (Corpsmen, Nurses, Medical Assistants, etc.).
- Phlebotomy students who feel they need more study time before taking the certification exam.
- Phlebotomy students who want a refresher course prior to a second attempt at certification.
Call 910.938.6294 or visit the Hurst Continuing Education Building Monday – Thursday, 7:30am–8:00pm, Friday, 7:30am–7:00pm., F 7:30am–5:00pm