The Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) addresses the admission of community college graduates to UNC institutions and the transfer of credits between institutions within the North Carolina Community College System and institutions within the University of North Carolina.

The CAA enables North Carolina community college graduates of two-year Associate in Arts (AA) and Associate in Science (AS) degree programs who are admitted to constituent institutions of the University of North Carolina to transfer with junior status. A student who completes the Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree prior to transfer to a UNC institution will have fulfilled the UNC institution’s lower-division general education requirements.

The CAA assures admission to one of the 16 UNC institutions with the following stipulations.

  • Admission is not assured to a specific campus or specific program or major.
  • Students must have graduated from a North Carolina community college with an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree.
  • Students must meet all requirements of the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement.
  • A student must have an overall GPA of at least 2.0 on a 4.0 scale, as calculated by the college from which he or she graduated, and a grade of “C” or better in all CAA courses.
  • Students must be academically eligible for readmission to the last institution attended.
  • Students must meet judicial requirements of the institution to which the student applies.
  • Students must meet all application requirements at the receiving institution including the submission of all required documentation by stated deadlines.
Transfer of Courses Not Originated at North Carolina Community Colleges

Transfer credit for courses that originate at a UNC institution or independent college or university that is part of the CAA is acceptable as part of a student’s successfully completed general education core or Associate in Arts or Associate in Science program under the CAA.

Transfer courses that do not originate at a NC community college may be used under the CAA with the following stipulations.

  • Courses must be from a regionally accredited (e.g., SACSCOC) institution of higher education;
  • Courses must meet general education requirements; and
  • Courses may total no more than 14 semester hours of general education course credit.
  • For courses not originating at a NC community college, if the courses are used to complete the AA or AS, the courses will transfer as part of the degree. Otherwise, if 14 hours or less are presented without completion of the AA or AS, then the receiving institution will consider the courses on a course-by-course basis.

The CAA policies extend to high school students taking college coursework through the NC Community College System and/or the constituent universities of the University of North Carolina.

Transfer of Courses for Non-Graduates

A North Carolina community college student who satisfactorily completes, with a grade of “C” or better, courses identified in the Universal General Education Transfer Component will receive credit applied toward the university’s lower-division general education course requirements, subject to the following distribution: maximum of 6 hours in English Composition, 9 hours in Humanities/Fine Arts/Communications, 9 hours in Social/Behavioral Sciences, 8 hours in Mathematics, and 8 hours in Natural Sciences.

A North Carolina community college student who satisfactorily completes a transfer course that is not designated as a Universal General Education Transfer Component course will receive transfer credit for the course. The receiving institution will determine whether the course will count as general education, pre-major, or elective credit.

In accordance with the terms of the CAA, any transfer student who disagrees with the amount of transfer credit accepted by a North Carolina community college or by an institution in the UNC system may file a grievance within the first six weeks of the beginning of the term for which admission was offered. A student may obtain a CAA Student Grievance Form from the Admissions Office of the college or university to which he/she was admitted.

If a student is denied admission to a UNC institution, then he or she will be notified in writing by the institution. In this notification, the student will be directed to the College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) website ( where the student will be given information regarding space availability and contacts in the respective UNC Admissions Offices. It is the student’s responsibility to contact each institution’s Admissions Office to get specific information about admissions and available majors.

In the rare instance that the previous steps do not result in admission to a UNC institution, then the student should contact the CFNC Resource Center at 1-866-866-CFNC.