The Early Childhood Education curriculum prepares individuals to work with children from infancy through middle childhood in diverse learning environments. Students will combine learned theories with practice in actual settings with young children under the supervision of qualified teachers.
Coursework includes child growth and development; physical/nutritional needs of children; care and guidance of children; and communication skills with families and children. Students will foster the cognitive/language, physical/motor, social/emotional, and creative development of young children.
Graduates are prepared to plan and implement developmentally appropriate programs in early childhood settings. Employment opportunities include child development and child care programs; preschools; public and private schools; recreational centers; Head Start programs; and school age programs.
Coastal Carolina Community College offers an Associate in Applied Science Degree, a Diploma, and two Certificates. The appropriate coursework for each is listed on the Coursework Page.
The Early Childhood Education A.A.S. at Coastal Carolina Community College is proud to have earned Accreditation from the NAEYC Commission on Early Childhood Associate Degree Accreditation — a standard of excellence for early childhood programs that prepare teachers at the associate degree level.
Are you Interested in Becoming a…
- Preschool Teacher
- Teacher Assistant
- Head Start or NC Pre-K Teacher Assistant
- Child Care Teacher
- Director of Child Care Center
- Early Childhood Program Specialist
- Special Education Assistant
- Recreational Program Leader
- Family Child Care Provider
- Nanny or Au Pair
If so, apply for the Early Childhood Education Program!
- Complete and submit an admissions application
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended high schools and colleges
- Take the placement test and meet with an academic counselor to determine if any developmental courses are required
- Meet with an academic counselor to get admitted
- Apply for Financial Aid (optional) or Veterans’ Education Benefits
- Students are required to pass criminal background checks for field experiences in the program. The background check will be the responsibility of the student.
- The Early Childhood Practicum courses require time in childcare settings and may require bending, lifting, squatting and standing. Please discuss any limitations with your instructor or academic counselor prior to registering for these courses.
- All courses from the Early Childhood Education Certificate Program will transfer into the diploma program.
- Placement test scores may be waived with official transcripts indicating successful completion (a “C” or higher) of college level English and Mathematics