Welcome to the Religion Department!
For class descriptions please refer to the current catalog.
Why study religion?
- Broaden perspectives
- Appreciate religious liberty issues
- Understand world culture
- Appreciate the vastness of world history
- Recognize the risks of religious extremism
- Develop an adult ethical perspective
- Develop a well-rounded personality
- Develop leadership skills
- Understand current events
- Gain critical thinking skills.
- Gain dual perspective
- Appreciate and work with people of different cultures & beliefs
- Understand the basis of Western culture
- Understand the impact of an individual’s cultural , personal & religious beliefs during professional interactions
- Develop personal ethical guidelines
- Gain the ability to work with diverse groups
- Develop an appreciation & tolerance of other’s, cultural, religious, personal customs, & beliefs
What can you do with a degree in the religion?
- Anything a Humanities major can do
- Career as clergy/chaplain
- Teach at universities, seminaries or community college
- Become an author of devotional or historical literature
Famous Religion graduates:
MLK Jr., Christy Turlington, Bill Moyer, Willard Scott, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Maya Angelou, Shane Battier