August 13, 2021
As we approach the beginning of the 2021 Fall Semester, it’s my hope that you, your family, and friends are doing well.
During this past year of unprecedented challenges resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, I have said many times that no college community has responded better than yours. Through it all, you have “stayed the course” and remained committed to educational quality while ensuring the health and safety of all.
While questions continue regarding the mandating of vaccinations, the wearing of masks, and/or social distancing, I do not recall a more polarizing climate in my many years as an educator. As reported by the Onslow County Health Department yesterday, our service area had the highest number of single-day cases this week than any other time since the pandemic began, and it’s strongly suggested that masks be worn in indoor settings, regardless of vaccination status. Consequently, with the understanding that the college’s approach is subject to change as appropriate, this fall semester will begin with the following expectation.
Masks are to be worn indoors unless speaking to a group, eating and/or drinking, or in an isolated area. More stringent protocols as mandated by a college affiliate, such as a Marine Corps base or clinical site, will be followed as required.
I will appreciate your cooperation and understanding. Let’s have a productive and successful semester. I wish you the very best.
David L. Heatherly
Coastal Carolina Community College
It’s important to note the following:
- Individuals should not be asked to disclose their vaccination status. This is private information and the personal nature of this information should be respected at all times.
- During this transition, please be patient as our employees and students continue to protect themselves on campus.
- If you teach in-person, or attend class, at an off-campus site, please adhere to the requirements of that instructional site.
- Please continue to report COVID-19-related symptoms, exposure, and diagnosis by email to CDEmployee@coastalcarolina.edu or CDStudent@coastalcarolina.edu.
- As vaccination appointments are widely available, Coastal employees and students are encouraged to be vaccinated. Vaccinations help keep our community healthy. For the latest COVID-19 vaccination information, visit gov/1809/COVID-19-Vaccine.
Please visit the website for the updated: COVID-19 Exposure Protocol:
Coastal Carolina Community College is closely monitoring the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation based on the latest information available from health authorities and state agencies. We have curated resources and information in an effort to ensure our campus community remains not only informed but also prepared throughout these unprecedented circumstances. This site will continue to be updated as necessary, but we encourage you to obtain information regarding health and safety precautions from health care providers, state health agencies, and government authorities in order to help our community stay as healthy and safe as possible. The following direct links are to government and state health authorities, including the CDC: