Please refer to the current Continuing Education Schedule of Classes for upcoming dates and times.
This 200-hour course prepares individuals to take national Pharmacy Technician Certification exams, and trains individuals to work under the supervision of Pharmacists in retail or institutional settings.
Students are taught Pharmacy Technician responsibilities and duties and the basic knowledge and skills to provide competent assistance to Pharmacists. Topics covered include medications, federal requirements, patient safety and quality assurance, order entry processing, regulations and technician duties, drug and drug products, the dispensing process, and math calculations necessary for daily pharmacy operations in various types of pharmacy settings.
- Seated: All class material is delivered on campus. Daytime and evening classes are available.
- Online: All class material is delivered online (no trips to campus required). Requirements for online classes include a reliable connection to the Internet to access Blackboard, the PowerPoint Viewer (free download), Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF files (free download available), and basic word processing (such as Microsoft Word or Notepad).
Coastal Carolina Community College uses a team of Pharmacists and certified Pharmacy Technicians to instruct this class.
Coastal’s Pharmacy Technician class has been approved as a Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) Recognized Education/Training Program.
Textbooks are available at The College Store.
Prerequisite Placement Testing
Students should refer to the Continuing Education Schedule of Classes for details about the prerequisite placement assessment.
Registration & Payment
Please refer to the Registration & Fees page to download the registration form and view registration instructions.
Continuing Education Financial Assistance
Financial assistance through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act is available for students who qualify. These funds may assist with registration fees, books, required supplies, and national/state exams.
For more information, see the Continuing Education Financial Assistance page.
National Certification Information
Please refer to the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board website for the PTCB exam or the National Healthcare Association website for the ExCPT exam.
Pharmacy Technician Student Evaluation Course Comments
A Note from a 2016 Pharmacy Technician Student
“I was in your Pharmacy Technician program from October 2015-February 2016. I just wanted to say thank you for your amazing teaching skills for getting me into my career and my dream job. I am currently living down in Arizona and I work in a pharmacy in a hospital. I passed the Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam back in March of 2016. I could not be any happier working in a hospital in the pharmacy setting. My goal is to go back to school and continue my career in a hospital. Thank you for pushing us all through that class and giving us the strength and knowledge to pass the class and certification exam.”
For Classes Held on Campus
- “As a military retiree and a college graduate, I have had extensive experience with many, many instructors. The instructors for this program are two of the finest instructors that I have ever had the pleasure of working with. They truly care about the students’ learning and go to great lengths to make the complicated material easy to understand.”
- “Love this class. The instructors are amazing.”
- “The instructors are very nice and helpful in every way. I learned a lot and really enjoyed the class.”
- “I enjoyed taking the Pharmacy Tech program very much. I am excited to take my National Exam and become a Certified Pharmacy Technician. I would not be prepared to take the National Exam without this class.”
- “This class was useful for getting me prepared for the National Exam and future job opportunities necessary to succeed.”
- “The instructors did an outstanding job with the material. They made it fun to learn and easily understandable. Not only was their support in class excellent, but excellent as well out of class. Job well done. Recommend this class to anyone!”
Pharmacy Technician Testimonial
“I hope this email finds you well. Not sure if you remember me, I was in one of your classes back in 2011 (long time ago!). I now work for a company in South Carolina in the DEA Compliance Department for Southern Anesthesia & Surgical, INC, a wholesale drug distributor. It is good to see you are still instructing. I still receive your job postings.
My husband retired after 21 years in the Marine Corp from a last duty station in South Carolina. We remained in Columbia SC for the past five years. During that time, I’ve had great luck working with my pharmacy background. I started out at CVS and while there became certified in the state of South Carolina. I was an inventory specialist for a year and a half then began working at the Palmetto Health Hospital System. I worked in the Pharmacy starting as a floor tech, then laterally moved into the support side of pharmacy operations gaining experience in the Narcotic Room with detailed inventory compliance requirements. This led me to my current position where I enter narcotic orders, verify, and validate licenses or disciplinary actions to ensure the client and our company are compliant with state and federal regulations. I never realized how diverse the pharmacy world is.
You and Miss Tillie were great instructors and provided me with confidence to enter the workforce.”