Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) is designed to give students essential skills required for entry-level employment as law enforcement officers with state, county, or municipal governments, or with private enterprise.
This program utilizes State commission-mandated topics and methods of instruction. General subjects include, but are not limited to, criminal, juvenile, civil, traffic, and alcohol beverage laws; investigative, patrol, custody, and court procedures; emergency responses; and ethics and community relations.
Students must successfully complete and pass all units of study mandated by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission to receive a certificate.
View the Annual Admissions Bulletin for more information about the program.
Admission requirements for the NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and Coastal Carolina Community College must be completed before a student can be registered for a BLET class.
- Be at least 21 years old (20 years old with official request of law enforcement agency)
- Have a clean criminal and driving record
- Pass the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) with a score of at least 10
- Pass the Police Officer Physical Agility Test (POPAT)
- Have graduated high school
- Have a valid North Carolina driver’s license (active duty and military dependents exempt)
- Secure sponsorship from a North Carolina law enforcement agency
- Have a North Carolina licensed medical professional verify their physical-readiness
- Retrieve and submit an OFFICIAL Local Criminal Records Check for every county resided in the United States since the age of 16.
- Disclose all criminal charges (regardless of disposition), military disciplinary issues, college disciplinary issues, as well as ALL illicit drug use.
- Complete and surrender all documentation provided by the BLET Director
- Provide Copies of:
- High School Diploma / GED / or Transcript Showing Graduation Date
- Birth Certificate
- NC Driver License
- DD214 – Member 4 Showing Discharge Status (if former military)
- BLET student reference books
- Class uniforms (Embroidered collared shirt and cap, khaki cargo/tactical pants, tan belt, military style tan suede boots)
- Physical training clothing (gray shorts and/or sweatpants, bright green t-shirts and/or sweatshirts, running shoes and socks)
*Please do not purchase uniforms or books until instructed to do so by the BLET Director.
BLET students may use financial aid if qualified.
BLET is a limited enrollment program. When the number of applicants exceeds the number of seats available, a point system will be used to determine the most eligible candidates. All applicants are encouraged to do their best on the TABE test and the POPAT and should submit all required documents to complete their application as soon as possible.
**For more information, please contact the BLET Director at (910) 938-6102.
North Carolina Justice Academy POPAT Demonstration Video
This video was provided by the North Carolina Justice Academy and is used with their permission. © 2014 N.C. Justice Academy Video Productions
Award Available – See Course Requirements below.
- Basic Law Enforcement Training Certificate (C55120)