FAFSA and internal Work-Study Application

Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides employment opportunities for students on the College campus and at a number of public schools throughout Onslow County.  The completion of a FAFSA and an institutional Work-Study Application are required for consideration.  The availability of positions is based upon funding levels, student need levels, and interviews.  Students will be paid an hourly wage for the number of hours worked per month during the semester.  The student’s work schedule will be set by the student’s supervisor and will vary according to the student’s class schedule.

Job descriptions for each FWS position are available in the Federal Work-Study Coordinator’s office.  These job descriptions outline the job’s duties and responsibilities.  A work-study job assignment should be treated like any other part-time job you may apply for.  Supervisors look for work-study students who are dependable and responsible.

US citizen or permanent resident enrolled in an eligible program who demonstrates financial need and meets eligibility requirements.

Award Amount
$11.00 per hour
Students are paid once per month for time worked

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be receiving financial aid to be a Work-Study?
No, you do not have to be receiving any sort of financial aid to be a Work-Study, but you must have applied for financial aid (
If I am only taking one class can I still be a Work-Study?
No, you must be enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours in order to be eligible.
Do I have to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?
Yes, students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA to keep their eligibility for the FWS program.
I submitted my application. Now what happens?
Your application will be evaluated by the Federal Work-Study Coordinator to verify eligibility.  Your application will then go into a pool of Work-Study applications until a department supervisor requests an application.  It is then sent to the department for their review.
Am I guaranteed a job as a Work-Study if I am eligible?
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee jobs for all of our applicants.  There are a limited number of positions available throughout the year and we will do our best to try to place you in one of the departments as there are openings.
How long is my application kept on file with the Federal Work-Study Coordinator?
Each semester, students who have a Work-Study application on file will receive a Contact Information and Availability Form.  If this form is not returned to the FWS Coordinator by the specified date, your application will be discarded.
My address and phone number changed and I updated the information with the College. Will my Work-Study application be automatically updated?
No.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your contact information is kept up-to-date with the FWS Coordinator.  If you move or change your telephone number, please contact the Coordinator to make the necessary changes.