On this page:
- About Us
- Appointment Information
- How to Register with WC Online (Tutorial)
- How to Schedule Your Own Appointments (Tutorial)
- Online Appointments
- Moving/Cancelling Appointments
- Missed Appointments
- Group Scheduling
- Learn More About the Writer’s Center
The Writer’s Center is a free resource available to all Coastal Carolina Community College students. It is a collaborative, supportive, and non-evaluative environment intended to help you with your writing in a way that will improve your writing abilities and confidence as a writer. Our tutors are English instructors who will work with you one-on-one to assist with any aspect of the writing process in any subject matter.
The Writer’s Center has moved to ONLINE TUTORING only until further notice. Online tutoring is available for all Coastal classes, no matter the platform (online, seated, hybrid, etc.).
Please attach your draft and the instructor’s directions as .doc or .docx files to the appointment form before the start time of your session. A tutor will comment on your draft and send it to you through email directly after your appointment time. If you do not receive an email for some reason, this file will also be attached to the appointment form.
If you have questions, please call one of the Writer’s Center Coordinators during operating hours (M-Th 9-3, F 9-1) and leave your name and phone number as a voicemail. Your call will be returned promptly. Or email the WC at email@example.com
Beth Hauser (910-938-6173)
Bethany Hunter (910-938-6188)
This link takes you to a tutorial for making online appointments:
Thank you for using the Writer’s Center.
TO SUBMIT A DRAFT FOR ONLINE TUTORING
- Go to the Writer’s Center website through the icon in your MyCCCC Portal.
- Follow the tutorial for how to register if you are a first-time WC client OR email the Writer’s Center the following information for them to register you:
- Phone number
- Program of study
- Enrollment year
- Student ID number
- To access the registration page, click the icon, “Make an Appointment.” Once you register or if you are already registered, this icon will take you directly to the schedule.
- When you click on a white block to schedule your appointment (all appointments are currently online), this will bring up your appointment form.
- Fill out the apppointment form as needed, then click “Save Appointment.” Important information to note:
- Fill in your full instructor’s email
- If you are concerned about citations or working on something like an annotated bibliography, please state the citation style you are using in the comments box.
- Attach your draft AND your instructor’s directions at the bottom of the appointment form. Please make sure your documents are in .doc or .docx file format.
- You will be directed to a screen that says “Success!”
- If you do not have your draft ready at the time you make your appointment, no problem. At some point prior to your appointment time, go back to the appointment schedule and edit your existing appointment. Just be aware that your appointment will be cancelled if no file is attached by the start time, and it will count as a missed appointment according to WC policies.
- When your draft has been reviewed, you will receive an email with the file attached. You can also go back to the schedule, and the file will be attached to your appointment. Your appointment time is the actual time that your essay will be reviewed by a tutor in the WC, so you can expect your draft to be returned within half an hour after your scheduled session ends. If this doesn’t happen, please email the WC.
- Tutors will not edit your paper line by line, but they will provide comments in the margins. If you don’t see the comments automatically when you open the file, click on the comment bubbles in the right margin to view the feedback. You will also see a larger comment at the end of your paper that outlines all the revision steps you should take.
If you have any confusion or concerns about this process, please do not hesitate to contact the Writer’s Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Monday – Thursday
9:00am – 3:00 pm
Fall and Spring Hours:
Monday – Thursday
9:00am – 3:00 pm
9:00am – 12:00 pm
Students may also visit the Academic Studies Center in Room 200 of the Hurst Continuing Education Building on Wednesdays from 5:00pm to 9:00pm for assistance with their writing.
If this is your first time making an appointment, the button above will direct you to create an account so we have your information in our system. This information allows us to contact you regarding scheduling and to notify your instructors of your visit. Once you have registered with us the first time, you will not be asked to register again; the “Make an Appointment” button will take you directly to the WC appointment scheduling page.
You will need your Curriculum Code to register with us! You can find your Curriculum Code here.
If you are unsure which Academic Program you are enrolled in, go to MyCCCC>WebAdvisor and log in. Click on “My Profile” and look under “Academic Program.” Then find the corresponding Curriculum Code through the link above.
- Appointments are scheduled in 30-minute blocks. We cannot guarantee that tutors will be able to help you with every aspect of your paper within the 30-minute time period. Tutors will focus on the most pressing issues at hand and will encourage you to come back later as needed.
- You may only schedule one appointment at a time. For example, if you know you would like to have multiple sessions on a given day, go ahead and schedule one appointment, then you can schedule a return appointment with us as you are leaving that session if you wish.
- You also have the option to walk in at any time and see if a session is available, although appointments take priority over walk-ins.
- To make the most of your Writer’s Center session, schedule appointments well before your paper is due because you’ll need plenty of time to revise your paper after the session.
How to Register with WCOnline
Contact The Writer’s Center if you still need help registering for our system.
How to Schedule Your Own Appointments
Contact The Writer’s Center if you would like us to schedule an appointment for you.
How to Make Online Appointments
The Writer’s Center offers an online tutoring option for all online courses and for CLNC and MCAS students. Students in these courses may submit drafts to the Writer’s Center remotely. A tutor will review the draft during the selected appointment time and provide in-line feedback using the comment function in Microsoft Word. To use online tutoring, follow the steps to set up an account and appointment as normal, but select “Yes—Schedule Online Appointment” beside the “Meet Online?” option on the Writer’s Center appointment form. Please make sure you attach your draft and the assignment sheet as .doc or .docx format so tutors can review them electronically.
PLEASE NOTE: If you make an online appointment and you are NOT working on an assignment for an online course or a CLNC/MCAS course, your appointment will be cancelled. Online tutoring is not currently extended to face-to-face classes on Coastal’s main campus. Also, if you make an online appointment and do not attach a file for us to review by the scheduled time, it will be treated as a missed appointment in our system.”
If you have any questions about online appointments, please contact us.
Contact The Writer’s Center if you need more help with online appointments.
If you would like to reschedule or simply cancel an appointment, you can do it yourself by returning to the WC schedule, clicking on your appointment, and clicking “Cancel this Appointment.” You may schedule another appointment as desired. You are also welcome to contact the Writer’s Center by phone or email and we will be happy to cancel or reschedule for you. PLEASE NOTE: The Writer’s Center administrators reserve the right to move your appointment to another tutor as needed in accordance with our policies (we will not change the time of your appointment, however). If you would like to work with the specific tutor that you selected for your appointment, please let us know when you make the appointment by including your request in the appointment form under “What would you like to work on today?”
If you have to miss an appointment, we would prefer that you cancel it through WCOnline or by calling the Writer’s Center; however, if you fail to notify us, then you may not schedule another session that day, but feel free to walk in that day, or you may make another appointment or walk in on any other day. An appointment is considered missed at 10 minutes after your scheduled appointment time, and you will be notified of all missed appointments via email. Three missed appointments in a semester will result in a suspension of Writer’s Center appointment privileges for the remainder of that semester, but you will still be allowed to walk in for sessions. Also, if you make an online appointment and do not attach a file for us to review by the scheduled time, it will be treated as a missed appointment in our system.
The Writer’s Center can accommodate small groups of up to four members for a 30-minute session with one tutor. Please contact the Writer’s Center for small group scheduling.
Learn More about the Writer’s Center
- FAQs for Students
- FAQs for Faculty & Staff
- Writer’s Center Staff
- Writing Resources
- Contact the Writer’s Center