Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) is designed to give students essential skills required for entry-level employment as law enforcement officers with state, county, or municipal governments, or with private enterprise.
This program utilizes State commission-mandated topics and methods of instruction. General subjects include, but are not limited to, criminal, juvenile, civil, traffic, and alcohol beverage laws; investigative, patrol, custody, and court procedures; emergency responses; and ethics and community relations.
Students must successfully complete and pass all units of study mandated by the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and the North Carolina Sheriffs’ Education and Training Standards Commission to receive a certificate.
Admission requirements for the NC Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission and Coastal Carolina Community College must be completed before a student can be registered for a BLET class.
- Be at least 20 years old
- Have a clean criminal and driving record
- Pass the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE) with a score of at least 10
- Pass the Police Officer Physical Agility Test (POPAT)
- Have graduated high school
- Have a valid North Carolina driver’s license
- Have a physician verify their physical-readiness (within 30 days of the start of the class)
- BLET student reference books
- Class uniforms (Embroidered collared shirt, t-shirt, and cap, khaki cargo pants, black belt, black boots)
- Physical training clothing (shorts, t-shirts, sweatshirt, running shoes)
BLET students can qualify for financial aid.
BLET is a limited enrollment program. When the number of applicants exceeds the number of spots available, a point system will be used to determine the most eligible candidates. All applicants are encouraged to do their best on the TABE test and the POPAT and should submit all required documents to complete their application as soon as possible.
For more information, please contact the BLET Director at (910) 938-6102.
North Carolina Justice Academy POPAT Demonstration Video
This video was provided by the North Carolina Justice Academy and is used with their permission. © 2014 N.C. Justice Academy Video Productions
Award Available – See Course Requirements below.
- Basic Law Enforcement Training Certificate (C55120)