Please refer to the current Continuing Education Schedule of Classes for upcoming dates and times.
The Massage Therapy Program consists of two components, MTI & MTII. Students need to complete each component in sequential order. The program is designed to provide students with the essential skills to become a State Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist. The curriculum includes the skills necessary for safe, effective and ethical practices required to perform basic Swedish massage.
Upon completion of the program and after acquiring the necessary state and national licensure, students will be able to work in hospitals, clinics, chiropractor and doctor offices, wellness centers, fitness centers, salons, athletic programs, corporate wellness programs, performing arts programs, as well as establish their own private practices.
Students will practice the clinical process of conducting client assessments, developing individualized treatment plans, and performing safe and comprehensive massage therapy under the supervision of a Licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist. In addition, students will exercise their legal and ethical duties according to the regulations and expectations of the massage therapy profession as delineated by the North Carolina Board of Massage & Bodywork Therapy.
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Take the TABE test for reading comprehension in the Academic Studies Center Room 200 in the Kenneth B. Hurst Continuing Education Building. Students need to score a 10.0 or better to be eligible for enrollment into the program.
- Purchase all required insurance through the Continuing Education Office.
- Pay registration fee and required insurance at the time of registration.
- Students must attend the Massage Therapy Program Orientation before the program begins.
Massage Therapy Curriculum
Classes are held Monday – Thursday, 8:00am – 12:00pm or 5:30pm – 9:30pm
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Kinesiology I & II
- Introduction to Massage
- Swedish Massage
- Therapeutic Massage
- Exam Preparation
- Massage Therapy Student Clinic
Clinical Hours (subject to change)
- Monday – Friday, 12:30pm – 5:00pm
- Massage Therapy Students are required to complete 150 clinic hours.
- Students are to provide all necessary equipment, including but not limited to, linens, pillows, bolsters, oils/creams/lotions, and towels during each clinic session, when directed by the instructor.
- Students are monitored by a licensed Massage and Bodywork Therapist at all times during clinic hours.
- Students are expected to adhere to all College and State codes of conduct.
- The public can obtain a massage from the student clinic for a nominal fee; payment is due to the college prior to any service being provided. Tipping is prohibited. All clients are required to complete a client intake form and all SOAP notes are to be completed by the student and retained in the client file.
Massage Therapy Program Expenses
|Registration Fee||$180.00 x 2 = $360.00|
|Uniform and Supplies||$500.00|
|State MBLEx Board Exam||$195.00|
|Licensure Application Fee||$150.00|
|Criminal History Report Fee||$40.00|
|Total Estimated Expenses||$1882.00|
For more information email Ms. Bronson, LMBT at firstname.lastname@example.org