A photo of a student smiling in line at graduation!
Admissions FAQs – Get your questions answered!  We’ve collected the most common questions and answered them here for your convenience.
How do I apply for residency?
Complete a Residency Determination Request
All applicants (with the exception of Career and College Promise applicants) must complete a Residency Determination request to determine their tuition status (in-state or out-of-state) prior to completing and submitting an admissions application.  Documentation may be required during this process.  View the Helpful Hints Guide for Residency Classification for a list of information that may be required to submit the Residency Determination.  Please have these documents on hand prior to starting your Residency Determination.
You can complete your Residency Determination online through RDS.
How do I apply online?
You can apply online through CFNC.org. Once we have received your application, we will notify you via email as to your next steps. If you have questions, please contact the Admissions Office at admissions@coastalcarolina.edu or 910.938.6394.
Do I need to take the placement test?
Placement tests are required unless the applicant qualifies for a placement test waiver (see an Academic Counselor for more information).
When do I register for classes?
If you are a new or returning student, your registration date will be given to you by the Academic Counselor during the admissions process. Current students will receive registration information in the mail.  The registration dates and times are posted in the curriculum schedule each semester (refer to the current curriculum OnCourse Schedule or to the Calendar page).
How do I apply for financial aid?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online.  Coastal Carolina Community College’s FAFSA school code is 005316.  Complete information is available on our FAFSA page.
Where and when do I get a parking placard?
Upon initial registration, students will receive their parking placard from the Security Office located in the Student Center Building.  The Security Office’s hours are Monday – Thursday, 8:00 am – 7:30 pm and Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
Where should I park?
Students should park in designated slots marked with an “S,” unless they are are authorized to park in Handicapped parking (see Campus Map).
What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is the platform where online classes are taught.  Many instructors of regular face-to-face classes also use Blackboard as an optional web supplement.  See the Distance Learning webpage to view more information on online classes and requirements.
How do I disenroll from a class?
During the registration period for the upcoming semester, a student may disenroll from a class at any time prior to the first day of the semester by completing a Drop/Add card.  After the semester starts, students may withdraw from a class by completing a Registration Change Notice.  The Drop/Add card and Registration Change Notice are available in the Registrar’s Office or the Admissions Office located in Student Services in the Student Center Building.
How do I request transcripts from Coastal Carolina Community College?
Request for Transcript forms are available in the Registrar’s Office in the Student Center Building.  This form can submitted in person or signed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office via mail or fax.  Please note that Coastal does not accept emailed transcript requests.  For specific instructions to request transcripts, please see Request for Transcript.