The population of Eastern North Carolina is growing, as is people’s appetite for fresh made food. Restaurants, hotels, seaside resorts, clubs, catering operations, contract food services, and healthcare facilities are all looking for educated, qualified culinary professionals. Coastal Carolina Community College will train you in the right skills for the right culinary arts career for you at the right price.
Coastal’s Culinary Arts Program
Culinary arts refers to more than just cooking classes — it encompasses the art and practice of all aspects of commercial food preparation, cooking, final presentation, and culinary management. Training in the culinary arts prepares you for a wide variety of career paths in a dynamic and exciting culinary landscape. You will gain theoretical knowledge and practical applications that provide critical competencies to meet industry demands, including environmental stewardship, operational efficiencies, and professionalism. Courses you will complete include sanitation and safety, baking, culinary fundamentals, production skills, nutrition, customer service, purchasing and cost control, and human resource management. Courses focusing on global cuisines, farm-to-table concepts, and menu design equip you with the in-demand skills employers are looking for.
Upon completion of the program, you will be able to work effectively as a team member to produce prepared foods, maintaining prescribed ServSafe© sanitation standards and safe use of equipment and smallwares.
You can earn the professional designation of Certified Culinarian (if a member of the national charter American Culinary Federation Junior Chapter). Certification through the American Culinary Federation demonstrates skill, knowledge, and professionalism to the food service industry.
Certified Culinarians within a commercial foodservice operation are responsible for preparing and cooking sauces, cold food, fish, soups and stocks, meats, vegetables, eggs, and other food items and will have completed ServSafe© training and will be able to demonstrate the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed in setting high food safety standards to keep your operation, your customers, and your employees safe.
Why Choose Coastal Carolina Community College?
We boast one of the top Culinary Arts schools in Eastern North Carolina.
In our Culinary Arts program, you will:
- Learn on state-of-the-art equipment in our multi-million dollar facility
- Study classic European cuisines as initially developed by Auguste Escoffier, Maître Cuisinier de France
- Prepare classic Asian cuisines from countries including China, Viet Nam, India, and Thailand
- Prepare Caribbean cuisines from countries including Haiti, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, and Cuba
- Experience working in a variety of settings: classroom, restaurant lab, and work-study
- Produce fantastic culinary and pastry creations using the best products available
- Learn from experienced industry professionals
- Enjoy small class settings and individual attention with skilled industry professional chefs, to help achieve your career goals
Real World Education
At Coastal Carolina Community College, your education goes beyond what you learn in class. We offer numerous opportunities for you to enhance your learning — and to make friends, network, and pursue your passions — through clubs and organizations, private tutoring, events and activities, leadership opportunities, job experience, volunteer experiences, visual and performing arts, and even international experiences.