Please refer to the current Continuing Education Schedule of Classes for upcoming dates and times.
The Nurse Aide I Training Program is a 150 hour, non–credit course that prepares graduates to provide personal care and perform basic nursing skills. Emphasis is on the process of aging including the mental, social, and physical needs of each client. The students will complete class, laboratory, and clinical learning experiences. Clinical learning experiences are obtained in long term care facilities. In all employment settings, the Nurse Aide I will work under the direction and supervision of licensed personnel.
Upon satisfactory completion of the NA I program, the graduate is eligible to take the North Carolina NNAAP exam given by NACES. An exam fee of $101.00 is required. Upon achieving a passing grade, the graduate will be listed as a Nurse Aide I by the Division of Health Service Regulation (DHSR).
The first step towards enrollment is to take the TABE reading placement test and score at least an 8.0. This is a free, 45-minute, no-appointment-necessary, reading test given in the Continuing Education Building, room 200. The testing center hours are Monday – Wednesday, 7:30 a.m.– 7:00 p.m.
Must be at least 17 years of age to register.
- Curriculum meets the requirements for listing on the NC NA I Registry
- Classes are taught by DHSR approved, experienced RN’s
- Classes follow the curriculum and standards of practice set up by the NC DHSR
- Prepares students to take the National Nurse Aide Assessment program (NNAAP) exam in NC
- Offers in-facility testing (in Coastal’s NA labs, for Coastal Students only) for the NC NNAAP written and skills exam
- Includes 40 hours of classroom time, 56 hours of lab time to practice and perfect your skills and 36 hours of clinical time to put what you have learned into practice
The following immunizations are required prior to clinical.
- PPD or TB risk assessment: Within one year prior to beginning day of class. (Chest x-ray if you have a prior history of a positive PPD).
- MMR: Two MMR vaccinations OR a positive antibody titer for Measles, Mumps and Rubella. If the titer is negative or equivocal, student must receive a booster shot.
- Varicella (Chicken pox): Two vaccinations OR positive antibody titer. Titer if history of disease.
- Tetanus (TpDap): Within last 10 years. (Tdap recommended)
- Hepatitis B Series: Three vaccinations, OR positive antibody titer OR declination. The series is made up of three doses. The second dose is given 1 month after the first and the third dose is given 6 months after the first dose. This vaccine is recommended for healthcare workers. A waiver must be signed if you have not taken or completed the series. If you proceed to NAII you will be required to have a titer, regardless of vaccination status.
- # Titer: antibody titer is a blood test that measures the presence and amount of antibodies in the blood. Lab report required for all titers.
We generally offer three NA I classes each fall and spring, and two during the summer session. Both day and evening classes are offered to best meet your schedule. Take your TABE test now and get registered for the next session. Clinical experiences are a required component of the class and are not negotiable. Clinical hours may vary slightly from class hours.
Day class meets Monday through Thursday from 8:30am to 1:00pm for 8 weeks. Evening class meets Tuesday and Thursday from 4:00 to 8:30pm for 16 weeks.
- Course Fee: $180.00
- Insurance Fee: $17.00
- Total Due at Registration: $197.00
- Background Check: $30.00
- Textbook: $50.00
- Uniform Cost: $30.00 – $50.00
- Immunization Tracker: $30.00
- Immunizations: cost varies
- NNAAP Exam for NC: $101.00
Basic Skills Plus Scholarship
- Basic Skills Plus is a scholarship program offered only to enrolled College and Career Readiness (previously Basic Skills) students who do not have a high school diploma or equivalency.
- This scholarship is offered for students interested in completing an Allied Health (Nurse Aide I) pathway through Continuing Education.
- The student is REQUIRED to be dually enrolled in College and Career Readiness classes and the corresponding Continuing Education classes.
- Students need to score at least a 9.0 on the TABE (reading and math).
- Students need to have at least two letters of recommendation from College and Career Readiness instructors.
- Once the student has met the above qualifications, they will be interviewed by a board to determine if they are a good fit for the program.
- Basic Skills Plus will only pay for tuition. Any other fees required (background checks, immunizations, insurance, uniforms, testing fees) must be paid by the individual student.
For more information, contact the College and Career Readiness Program at 910.938.6259 or email@example.com.